We decided to pair classes in 2021 – Mini Max and Micro Max will race together, Senior Max and Junior Max race together and DD2 and DD2 Masters race together. Rotax provide for this as these classes are ranked next to each other.
The benefits of doing this are:
- Much more practice time for everyone at regional and national events
- A shorter race day – aim to finish around 4pm – very important because we want the officials to have sufficient time to complete technical checks, finalize protests and complete the day on the day! Protests must be finalised on the day of the event and not held over.
- Helps regions to cater for all classes and have more interesting racing
- The class within a class scoring system allows the combined race to all score in the higher ranked class and then rescore the lower ranked class. This ensures a minimum number of starters is met in the higher ranked class. The lower ranked class in each pair also has regional and national championship status.
- Bigger fields on the track always look great for everyone involved.
Potential downsides include:
- A faster kart bumping into a slower kart – in particular Micro Max and Mini Max will be observed carefully and the officials will deal harshly with a higher ranked driver “bullying” a lower ranked deriver.
- A competitor wanting to compete in two classes will have to choose one!
- The winner of the lower ranked class will not see the checkered flag first.
This situation will be monitored and reviewed and as soon as numbers warrant it the classes will be separated at national events.